, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

The Rock

It’s not what you think.  Yesterday afternoon, I saw a post on Facebook announcing that there would be homecoming gathering at the Rock (aka the Prudential Center, where the Devils play), where fans could wait for the boys to arrive back from LA.  This was at 3:15.  By 3:45, the Husband, the kids, and I were standing there, in the rain, with a decent sized crowd, especially considering the rain and the fact that we didn’t actually win the Stanley Cup. But, like most gatherings of NJ sports fans, it was fun and entertaining, even in the rain.

“Cute Lil’ Devils!”, according to the @NHLDevils Twitter account 🙂

After waiting for about an hour, some staff members started passing out “posters” (really, poster board signs that said “Let’s Go Devils!”) and then little white NJ Devils towels (for waving).

Some very smart fans, who parked in the garage and stayed there, not getting soaked.

Throughout this whole time of waiting, the Ninja Monkey, who is a huge fan, did nothing but complain.  That’s right, he spent the entire time whining about being hungry and wet and cold, and while granted, we were all getting hungry and cold and were all soaked, it was really starting to get to me.  I mean, I love the Devils, but I didn’t need to stand in the rain for myself.  I was standing there, tired, sore feet, so that my boys could get a chance to see their team up close, and he was complaining.  I shouldn’t have been surprised.  It’s kinda what he does. God bless him, it’s just not one of his best qualities.

Still Waiting…

Finally, an hour and a half after they were supposed to arrive, the bus finally pulled up.

They’re Here!

My little Ninja Monkey went from whining about the rain to being ecstatic about the Devils being nearby.  Then, everything went a little crazy.  People started running everywhere, trying to get closer to that bus.  No one knew exactly where to go but everyone was trying to get there.  Somehow or other, the Ninja Monkey and I ended up in the perfect spot.  You see, the guys got off the bus and into their cars and were just driving away.  We ended up being right at the end of the line, right before the cars left the garage.  And, as luck would have it, most of the guys had their windows down and were more than willing to give a high five to a very eager, very young fan, who was now grinning from ear to ear.  The excitement on his face was priceless as he got high fives from Parise (the captain), and Zurbus (one of the forwards and one of his favorite players), and several others.  We got to see Elias and Sykora (two of my favorites) up close.  At the end of it all, he was no longer the Complaining Ninja Monkey, but was back to his usual smiling self, full of excitement and flat out joy.

“Mommy! It’s the Devils!!!”

So, was it worth it, dragging them out in the rain, standing there for two hours, getting soaked, being hungry, and cold?  Hell yes, it was worth it!  As I told the Husband on our way home, I think I’ve sealed their fates, as Devils fans.  What more could I ask for in a rainy afternoon?